Certified Medical Assistant
Department: Family Medicine Clinic
Status: Part Time
Work closely with a team of staff including physicians and advanced level providers to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care. Assist with exams and procedures, administer medications, and perform tests under the supervision of a licensed medical provider.
EDUCATION BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (AHA-BLS) for the HealthcareProvider
- Medical Assistant CertificationREQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Supports hospital mission and strategic vision; manages hospital resources appropriately; complies with hospital policies and programs; maintains skill levels, licenses, and certifications; complies with all state and federal Compliance and HIPAA requirements; keeps lines of communication open between self and other hospital personnel; competent with computer programs; proper telephone etiquette and appropriate personal interaction; shows professional respect and courtesy to patients, families, physicians or colleagues; must be able to work well with others.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Works together with staff and patients practicing the continuous usage of AIDET.
- Prepares prescriptions and medication refills.
- Responsible for timely entry of essential patient data into EMR system.
- Prepares exam rooms for the day and cleans exam rooms throughout the day.
- Escorts patients to and from exam room.
- Takes patient’s’ vitals, obtains chief complaint, documents home medications andpain assessment forms.
- Relays messages as may be required by physician.
- Maintains patient records.
- Obtain pre-authorizations for required studies and for prescriptions.
- Completes medication refill requests from pharmacy.
- Communicates with other doctors’ offices regarding medical records, reports andfaxes.
- Refers patients to outside providers, as requested by physicians.
- Ensures timely processing of prescription refills, per physician approval.
- Manages patient expectations by letting them know when the physician is runningbehind.
- Manages the physicians and nurse practitioner incoming requests from outsideproviders, clinics, and pharmacies.
- Cleans and restocks room and equipment.
- Orders supplies as needed.
- Schedules patients for appointments, as needed.
- Provides friendly and effective phone communication with clients.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains a smooth flow of communication between patients, providers, MAs, andother clinic staff to manage efficiency and patient flow including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with patients and coworkers and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Respectfully takes direction from Manager.